Thursday, October 31, 2013
Today we're talking chili, and I'm taking it pretty seriously.
Most people I know have a very specific chili preference. Sure we may like to walk down a chili buffet line at a cook off and get a taste dozens of varieties.
But I'm pretty sure that all of us deep down have a favorite chili and that chili probably has something to do with what type of chili we grew up eating.
Monday, October 28, 2013
Here's this week's dose of good news about food.
- We're in the last few days of Fair Trade Month. Here are 5 sweet ways to support and keep up with fashion fair trade companies by reading Grace's Fair Trade Friday updates on her blog.
- Speaking of fair trade, we just discovered Wild Ophelia chocolates this week. I like their business ethics just as much as I like their Peanut Butter and Banana milk chocolate bar.
- This doesn't necessarily have to do with food, but I got to hear the founder of LOVE146 speak at my church yesterday and they have an incredible mission to end child trafficking. Maybe you would like to get involved.
- In need of a last-minute pumpkin for Halloween this week? Modern Farmer offers 7 tips for finding the best one!
- If you're a Northwest Arkansas-er, you have got to get a hold of a copy of the brand new edible Ozarkansas magazine. It's full of beautiful pages of local food news, recipes and features. Get a peek inside the mag from Lyndi.
- Here are some Halloween-inspired dishes to start your festive week out.
Are you planning on making any special treats for Halloween? I think I'm going to whip up some of this Hot Cocoa Popcorn.
Saturday, October 26, 2013
Last week whilst celebrating my husband and my 1.5-year wedding anniversary, we came up with a genius plan.
A plan to make Indoor S'mores.
It was rainy, cold and dark by dessert time, so I knew that I had to find a way to get some marshmallows perfectly toasted and crammed in between dark chocolate and graham crackers without a fire pit or outdoor flame.
And I turned to my wonderful little toaster oven (which oddly enough my husband bought me when we were dating after my old one sparked and bit the dust).
Thursday, October 24, 2013
A few weeks ago I got the privilege of having to take a day off of work.
It was my last day to use my last personal day before it disappeared, so I put the day off on the calendar and started planning/fighting the urge to plan a million things to do with my free time.
It was such a nice day to sleep in until 9, wear my pajamas for longer than I should and basically get a jump on life things.
Monday, October 21, 2013
My grandmother always told me to eat my carrots so I would have good eye sight.
And I gulped down my mom's tender, savory carrots in our Sunday roast and hoped that I wouldn't be like everyone else in my family and have to get glasses.
And then in seventh grade, I took the vision test that we all had to take and completely failed. I remember telling the eye test giver that I couldn't see anything!
I was distraught that I would have to get glasses...even in the midst of having eaten my carrots all my life.
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Sorry if I got a little crazy with the alliteration in the title of this post.
I love words...what can I say.
I'm really excited about this salad (and you should be, too) because it's full of health, uses seasonally tasty ingredients and can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. It also got the thumbs up at my community group!
Curly kale has become one of my favorite raw greens because it keeps its crunch and texture fabulously even after being dressed and sitting for awhile.
Thursday, October 17, 2013
Tailgating is not really in my vocabulary.
In the midst of living in the most football-crazed part of a state that worships the pigskin and the hog (aka Razorback), I live basically oblivious to football.
You see, I live in the same city as the University of Arkansas and while most people plan their yearly calendars by the football schedule, I don't even know there's a game until I'm stuck in horrible traffic while trying to grocery shop on Saturday afternoon.
Monday, October 14, 2013
Here's another round of Random Acts of Foodness (aka good news about food) to start your week out on a positive, tasty note.
- Mellow Mushrooms in the NWA area are doing some cool things to help people out in the community (like hosting charity events and donating to the fight against hunger). Follow their Facebook Page to stay updated.
- Heard about the Kitchn Cure 2013 and sad you missed out on this incredible organizing opportunity? Catch up on the 10 days of assignments here and you're on your way to a cleaner, happier kitchen.
- I can hear my grandmother saying "waste not, want not" right now.
Saturday, October 12, 2013
And not because I'm in my pj's, sleeping in.
It's because I'm waking up around 8 or so (which I know to some of you is sleeping in, but I still consider it getting up). I make my hair look presentable, or mildly so, throw on some clothes (usually of the exercise variety) and say goodbye to my husband as I head out the door on my way to...the farmers market!
Friday, October 11, 2013
What a happy two years it's been.
With lots of posts, pictures, sweets, savories and words.
Thank you for reading my words on occasion and sharing in my big appetite for food and life!
I'm really excited for where Fruitful is going (we might even have a new url soon...stay tuned).
Monday, October 7, 2013
My husband really loves Sriracha, you know, the spicy red sauce in the plastic bottle wit a green top with a rooster pictured on the front.
Every stir fry or rice dish that we make gets smothered in it for Jason.
And I take a few drops for the garlic, chili ka-pow that it adds.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Happy late World Vegetarian Day (it was Tuesday)!
And Happy Vegetarian Awareness Month!
I'm happy to celebrate this month because as a semi-vegetarian, I have really grown to appreciate vegetables in all of their colors, shapes, sizes and tastes.