Monday, April 22, 2013

Healthy Baking Tips


Let's talk healthy baking.

That may sound like an oxymoron to you, but it isn't!

I used to think for something to be delicious and heartwarming it had to contain lots of butter and sugar. And of course there are many things that I still love and bake that do contain those things.

But I'm learning there are ways to bake with no guilt!

I'm talking using applesauce and bananas for oil/binding, cutting out white sugar and utilizing whole wheat flour.

I originally bought whole wheat flour (which only costs a few bucks for a big bag) to make pizza crust, an experiment which failed, and then I started finding baking recipes that had part all-purpose and part whole wheat flour.

This flour really fortifies your baked goods and makes them taste even better. And you can really substitute 1/2 of your flour in most baking recipes for whole wheat.

Doing so makes me feel even happier when I'm eating my baked goods.


These blondies are made healthy with the use of sweet potatoes, whole wheat flour and only brown sugar for the sweetener. And you would seriously never know that these are better for you than most!

They're moist, sweetened with chocolate chips and texture-ized with toasted walnuts.

Look for more healthy baking recipes to come!

*Click on recipe card to enlarge and save.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm... 'Sounds delicious! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! And just in time for sweet potatoes!! Will definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely- these are seriously tasty! It was great to meet you at AWBU, too!

      Delete
  3. Just made these and can't wait to try them, but I just noticed the cinnamon is a listed ingredient, but cinnamon is not included in the directions. Did I just miss something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for alerting me to that. I have fixed the recipe card so now it's good to go!

      Delete