Saturday, June 29, 2013

In Memory


I would like to take little break from food talk to celebrate a life.

This week, my mom's very good friend and my friend, too, Marilyn, passed away after a 2 1/2-year battle with lung cancer. And although I am so sad that she is gone, I am happy that she is no longer suffering and reaping her rewards in heaven.

Have you ever met someone and immediately known, no matter your age difference or your locale, that you would be friends?

Even though I only got to hang out with Marilyn on a few occasions, I felt this way about her. I found her sense of joy and incredible sense of humor to be magnetic and she always made celebrations even more fun.


I remember the first time that I got to hang out with Marilyn. It was a few days before my middle sister's wedding and a few of my mom's friends and a some of our family members were making mojitos, eating guacamole and chatting.

I'll never forget that Marilyn said we had eaten so much chips and guac that "she felt like an oompa loompa." I thought this was hilarious!

Marilyn was the type of person who made everyone feel welcome. And although she experienced some miracles and many hardships in her fight with cancer, she never let go of her trust in the Lord and encouraging spirit. (You can read more about her journey on her blog here.)

I put up a picture of this lovely teapot that Marilyn gave to Jason and me for a wedding gift. And when I use it, I think of what a wonderful legacy she left and how much she cared for others. And I remember how sick she was feeling right before my wedding and how she came anyway to honor me. When I think of walking down the aisle on my wedding day and all of the beautiful faces that I spotted and made me well up with tears of gladness, her face surely stands out.

So today, I remember the incredible impact that Marilyn's life had on mine (in the very short time I spent with her) and so many others. And I hope those of us who knew Marilyn can honor her by embracing this life with the joy, hope and strength that she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment