Saturday, June 22, 2013

Simple Saturday: Quinoa


I've been afraid of quinoa for quite awhile.

I tried making couscous a few times and totally failed getting good flavors into it. And I (wrongly) assumed that I would fail at quinoa, too.

But I finally got up the courage when I found a recipe for really fresh, delicious-looking quinoa with lime juice, garlic and cilantro. And then I saw another recipe with black beans.

And this cilantro and black bean quinoa is a happy marriage of all of those southwestern flavors.



I was really amazed at how easy, tasty and filling the quinoa turned out to be.

If you're already a quinoa master, please share your recipes with me! And if not, go buy some and try it out with this easy recipe.

Here's how you make it:
1. Rinse 3/4 cup of quinoa and pour the rinsed quinoa and 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan.

2. Bring it to a boil and turn down the heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa has soaked up all of the liquid.

3. In your serving bowl, mix together 1 clove of garlic (minced), the juice of a small lime (about 2 tbs.), a few pinches of cumin (about 1/4 tsp.), some black beans, lots of cilantro and sliced radish (optional, for crunch) and mix in the quinoa. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings to taste.

4. Serve warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment