Saturday, June 15, 2013

Simple Saturday: Grilled Cheese & Tomato


Grilled cheeses take me right back to being a kid, coming home from preschool and eagerly awaiting my cheese crisped sandwich paired with tomato soup and an episode of Barney.

The life!

My mom always made me the best lunches and she even introduced me to the Grilled Cheese & Tomato Sandwich.

She visited South Africa for a month when I was young and learned about this British-inspired deliciousness there.

I spunk-ed up this sammie with the addition of fresh basil and super sharp cheddar.


The cheese gets perfectly melty, the whole wheat bread crisp, the tomato softens and the basil gives it all a fresh punch.


And this is so easy to make:

1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Assemble the sandwich by layering the tomato (adding a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the slices), cheese and basil.

2. Butter one side of the bread and put it face down in the hot skillet. Butter the other side of the bread while it's cooking. Cover the skillet to help the cheese melt.

3. Once the bread is browned on one side, flip and cook until browned and cheese is melted. Eat as soon as possible!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment