Saturday, July 13, 2013

Simple Saturday: Quick Jam


And here we are, back to talking berries.

I just know that they're only here for a few months, so I want you and me to be prepared to use them to the fullest.

Jam was something that I had never made until I tried this simple, 15-minute recipe. I'm not one to spend hours over the stove making things, so this recipe was perfect!



And it also utilizes a product that I recently bought, chia seeds, and haven't done too much with. These little seed-like guys are rich in omega-3s and are great for making your morning smoothie keep you full.

And combined with fresh fruit, a little honey and vanilla extract, chia seeds make this jam quick and so simply delicious.

The chia seeds contribute to the thick, jam-like consistency and make this toast-topper a healthier treat.


Here's how you make it:
1. Combine 3 cups of fresh blueberries and 1/4 cup of honey (or agave) in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the berries soften and burst.
2. Add in 1/4 cup of chia seeds and let the jam cook and thicken for 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove it from the heat and add in 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract.
(Jam can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.)
Thanks to Bob's Red Mill for the recipe.

Happy Simple Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment