Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Flag Cakes and the Fourth

Who's in the mood for a funny Fourth of July story?

I hope you are, because I've got one and it relates to food, so you're in for a treat.

Have you ever seen one of these cool fruit flag cakes?

Photo from catalogs.com

They're pretty cool, right.

The strawberries and blueberries form the perfect flag, their colors blend great and it's the perfect sweet treat to take to a party.


Well, about 4 or 5 years ago, I decided that I would make a flag cookie cakes and take it to my friend's Fourth of July party. I knew everyone would be wowed.

And so I made the sugar cookie crust, iced it with the cream cheese mixture and topped it with my perfect rows of strawberries and blueberries.

And I took this beauty to the party and watched people enjoy my culinary creativity...until someone pointed out that my colors were wrong.

I had totally put the blueberries (which make better lines by the way) as the stripes of the flag and the strawberries at the top left corner. Oops. Thankfully, it still tasted delicious and I got to laugh at how I had taken some artistic license on the American flag.

Anyhoo, if you're looking for a dish or snack to make on the Fourth that's uncomplicated and delicious, here are some that I've scoped out for you:

Joy the Baker's Toasted Marshmallow Squares - Still patriotic, but way easier to make than a flag cake.

Quinoa Tabbouleh - For a fresh, healthy side.

Frito Pie or Taco Bell Mexican Pizza - For those who want to feel like a kid again this Fourth.

BBQ Baked Beans - I've never made baked beans from scratch, but these make me want to!

Piquant Corn Bread - You'll need some corn bread with those baked beans and this one looks so uniquely delicious.

Fresh Melon Salsa - A refreshing, summery salsa.

3-Ingredient Strawberry Sorbet - So easy and it looks super refreshing.

S'mores Ice Cream - For a healthy (made with coconut milk) but still decadent ice cream recipe.

Berry Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese - For those of you who want to wow your guests with your patriotism and panache.

Happy Fourth of July, foodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment