Saturday, May 25, 2013

Simple Saturday: Graham Cracker Crust


It's good to be in a mode of "I can make this at home instead of buying it from the store."

And of course, this isn't ideal in all cases. I still enjoy buying things like pre-made hummus and soup mixes at the store.

Before making my key lime pie for a work party, I decided instead of buying a graham cracker crust from the store that I would make my own.

I was really impressed with the difference it made. The crust had more depth of flavor and it didn't all crumble once I cut the pie into slices.

High-five for homemade!


So, here's how you make it:
1. Put 12 full-size graham crackers with 1/4 cup of sugar into a food processor and break them down until very crumbly.
2. Add in 6 tbsp. melted butter and process some more until the butter is evenly distributed. (If you don't have a food processor, you can crush the crackers in a plastic bag then mix them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients.)
3. Press the crust into a 9" pie pan and up the sides.
4. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes until slightly browned and fragrant.

*Thanks to Faith Durand at The Kitchn for this great recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment