Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pulled Pork for the Win


It's one of my favorite seasons of every two years: The Olympics!

For the last five days, I have been glued to the TV soaking up every swimming, diving, gymnastics, kayaking, soccer and other competitions.

The only sad thing is that I'm kind of a couch potato while doing it, but I figure as long as I have my morning walks, I'm good for a little couching.

For the opening ceremonies, I knew that we had to have a great meal to celebrate the occasion.

It would have made more sense to go with British fare, but I decided to do Mexican.

And it was slow-cooker pulled pork tacos for the win! It took the gold! It soared with flying colors!




We gave these juicy, tender, pull-apart pork tacos a 10!

Ok, I'll stop now.

Anyway, this was my first time using my slow cooker and it worked like a dream.

I put the pork in with the salsa, seasonings and cocoa powder (which makes the flavor so rich and tasty) in the morning and 8 hours later it was ready to be shoved in a tortilla slathered with toppings and devoured!

This was seriously the easiest meat dish I've ever made. It was really nice to just throw the pork in the slow cooker and watch it simmer for hours. The only hard part was being tempted to open the lid even though I knew I shouldn't, but I stayed strong and waited until the end.


And this meal was on budget because, unbenounced to me, pork butt or shoulder is a really affordable piece of meat. And when you cook it low and slow, it becomes so juicy and delectable!

Overall, this was a great dish to serve to our lovely couple friends who joined us for the ceremonies. It was fun to make the taco bar with all of the toppings and be able to get creative with the meal.

And we finished the night off with a creamy key lime pie (recipe to come).


*Click on the recipe card to enlarge and save




No comments:

Post a Comment