Monday, November 4, 2013

Arkansas Black Apples


I've gotten really excited about apples lately.

For the past few months, when I go to the farmer's market the apple stand is one of the first places I go.

And I love hearing about the different types (when I'm not too scared to ask) and mixing it up each week and experiencing new tastes and crisp flavors.


I usually take an apple with me to lunch each day and when I cut into it after eating my lunch it's like an adventure finding out what it tastes like.

You should be excited about apples, too. And if you live in Arkansas you should be extra excited about the Arkansas Black Apple!


It's a very special and old apple that has a most unique taste and deep red hue. And it's not just for Arkansans to eat and cook with. Here are some chefs across the U.S. talking about the Arkansas black.

Arkansas Black Apple Pie
Arkansas Black Apple Cobbler

I get really pumped when I see some of my favorite big-time bloggers waiting for and using these one-of-a-kind heirloom apples from my home state.

#arkansaspride

Yes, I just hash-tagged...I told you I was excited!


I decided I needed to actually cook with some of these beauties instead of eating/staring at them, so I baked this simple Arkansas Black Apple Crumb Cake inspired by Amateur Gourmet's recipe.

This cake comes together quickly and has a short list of ingredients. It's got a classic sweet cinnamon crumble topping and is fantastic with the sweetness from the Arkansas blacks.

Give it a try and buy some Arkansas blacks while you can!

*Click on recipe card to enlarge and save.

No comments:

Post a Comment