Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Poppy Seed Chicken for the Soul



Here's a picture of a usual day in the life of my kitchen counter.


There are loads of fruit and veg just sitting out waiting to be eaten, along with the granola I made last week, some defrosting bread, a few bills and lots of random papers.

I'm always in awe when I go to someone's house and their counter is completely clutter free.

How do they do it?



In a perfect world, I wold never have any scraps of paper on my counter top or I would find a new place to put the bills. I might put all of my fruits and veg in the fridge, but then I wouldn't get to look at their beautiful tints whenever I pass by. And by the way, I personally don't like cold tomatoes. I like them warm so I can imagine they came right out of the garden.

If I had that incredibly clean and all bare kitchen or home, it wouldn't be mine.

As a budding housewife, I'm learning to live with who I am. I can be a bit of a pack rat and I love food and displaying it for all to see.

And if that makes me a clutter bug, then so be it.


As I'm becoming comfortable with my counter, I'm feeling OK that sometimes I just need a very warm, savory, comforting meal. Even if this means that it contains a lot of ingredients that come from a can and don't lend much color.

This is a very comforting recipe that reminds me of wonderful Sunday lunches and weeknight dinners at my in-laws' house.


I hadn't even heard of Poppy Seed Chicken before I met my now-husband's wonderful family, but I loved every bite of it when my mother-in-law made it.


You can just add a bit of green to give your plate some color with a spinach salad or saute some asparagus and call it a meal!


This is a buttery, crispy, ooey-gooey meal that is heaven on some basmati rice and even better as a leftover the next day!


Trust me, a little Poppy Seed Chicken never hurt anyone. In fact, I would bet that it could get you out of any rut you may currently be in.

*Click on the recipe card to enlarge and save

No comments:

Post a Comment