Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chicken salad minus the mayo

Last weekend, I spent some fun time with my mom in Tulsa. We had a great time shopping, hanging out, hitting up our favorite coffee shops and eating some delicious food. If you are taking a trip to T-town anytime soon, I highly recommend eating at Lucky's for Sunday brunch, getting a coffee at Shades of Brown and hitting up Brady Tavern for a delicious drink and some fancy pub food.

Before we left Tulsa, we ate lunch in Utica Square. It was a restaurant that I hadn't been to very much and I ended up ordering a chicken salad sandwich. I was looking forward to getting a creamy maybe sweet chicken salad on some delicious bread. Unfortunately, it did not come out as I had hoped. Although it wasn't terribly bad, it wasn't the southern chicken salad that I had hoped for...and half of the sandwich consisted of lettuce. Bummer!





So, I decided that I would try to make my own creamy but healthy chicken salad.

My first attempt went pretty well. I used all greek yogurt (no mayonnaise, because mayonnaise kind of scares me), lemon juice, apples, almonds and roasted chicken for flavor.

It turned out pretty well. I think maybe next time, I might add some celery or red onion for more flavor.

Well, I'm trekking to New York for the first time this weekend, so I hope to come back with some great culinary finds to share!

*Click on recipe card to enlarge and save

No comments:

Post a Comment